Smothered Thin Pork Chops
These directions are meant for Ribeyes, NY Strips, T-Bone, Porterhouse and Top Sirloin Steaks, cut at approximately 1 ½” thickness (the standard cut at The Local Butcher).
- Get your grill as hot as possible. I turn my grill on high, all burners, for 20 minutes with the lid closed.
- Set your steak on a plate in the kitchen, after you turn on the grill. This will help bring the steak to room temperature.
- Rub both sides liberally with kosher salt (not table salt!) and fresh black pepper, to taste (you can always add more S&P after, so don’t go crazy). It is important to not use table salt as it leaves a film on the meat rather than being absorbed like kosher salt.
- Turn the grill down to a medium-high heat and place the steaks on the grill and close the lid. After 3 minutes, turn the steaks over and let grill for another 3 minutes. Repeat the flip, but only do 1 minute on each side more for a total of 4 minutes on each side (3 mins, flip, 3 mins, flip, 1 min, flip, 1 min, OFF the grill). If your grill is flaring up, turn the heat down a bit more. As long as you keep the lid closed you have most of the heat you need from the preheating.
- Place the steaks on a plate and do not cut in to them for a minimum of 5 minutes. This will let them settle and absorb the juices a little more. Salt and pepper to taste and serve.